Are you already making comics, but want to take it to the next level? Or perhaps you’re a writer or an artist, but comics are a new challenge and you’re looking for some professional advice? As always, Cloudscape Comics is here to help you learn! We are pleased to present our first ever workshop series for developing youth and adult comic artists. Cloud Shops is a series of free lessons delivered by talented, established comic artists living in British Columbia that will cover all topics related to comics creation, from typography and digital inking to anatomy, storytelling, and even learning how to create sculptures of your characters from modelling clay.
The particular workshops will be:
- Aug 24 – Jeff Ellis – Manga Studio
Learn some tools and tricks for making comics using Manga Studio (aka Clip Studio), from thumbnailing to penciling, inking, colouring, and lettering.
- Aug 31 – Jade McGilvray – Sculpture and Bust Making
Learn how to create sculptures for art references, wargaming, or just for fun!
- Sept 6 – Anat Rabkin – Excel For Cartoonists
Bookkeeper (and Cloudscape treasurer) Anat Rabkin will teach you how to use Microsoft Excel to manage your art career and keep track of your self-employment income.
- Sept 7 – Jade McGilvray & Hannah Myers – Drawing Human Anatomy
Improve your ability to draw the human figure by going over how humans are actually put together.
- Sept 14 – Kathleen Jacques – Lettering and Typography
No comic is complete without lettering. Learn how to make your text pop, your sound-effects carry weight, and your pages sparkle.
- Sept 20 – Kelly Chen – Making Minis and Zines
Learn how to bind and assemble various kinds of zines and minicomics!
- Sept 21 – Steve LeCouilliard – Storytelling for Comics
Tighten up your storytelling chops with veteran comicker and animation storyboarder Steve LeCouilliard.
- Sept 28 – Vanessa Kelly – Composition
Study how to better compose panels, choose moments, manage transitions, and arrange your pages. This is the fundamental anatomy of the comics medium.
- Oct 5 – Alina Pete – Drawing Four-legged Animals
Drawing animals is hard! Learn how to better draw horses, dogs, cats, tigers, bears, and any other four-legged friends.
- Oct 12 – Jonathon Dalton – Perspective
Spend some time polishing your backgrounds with some handy tricks for drawing any number of vanishing points with as few headaches as possible.
Hope to see you there!