Did you know that Cloudscape is still looking for more monster cards for our eighth anthology, Mega Fauna? As with previous Cloudscape anthologies Giants of Main Street and Waterlogged, our next book will feature a gallery of creatures in addition to the comic stories. Mega Fauna’s gallery will be creature trading cards, reminiscent of Pokemon and educational zoological cards. Some of these creatures will be included in the book, others will be part of the pack of monster cards that will be sold as part of the book’s Kickstarter fundraiser.
Your creature must be one invented by you, so no dragons or unicorns unless they’re a new breed (such as a dreamdance dragon or a candy-corn unicorn). It should also be a creature that someone might use as a pet, even though it may be a dangerous or expensive pet (such as a hundred-foot tall creature that eats cars). Remember that Mega Fauna is an all-ages book so your submission should be rated PG or below.
Submitting Your Creature
Deadline is September 1st. Send all submissions to Bevan Thomas at email@example.com. Anyone who lives in or has lived in BC is free to submit.
Each submission must include the following:
1. An image of the animal, in an action pose! As the cards will be 2 inches 7/16ths wide and 3 inches 7/16ths tall (the exact dimensions of a Pokemon card), your image should be compatible with these dimensions. Images need to be 300dpi, CMYK in order to be considered. Also, as Mega Fauna will be a full-colour book, your creature needs to be coloured as well.
2. The name of the creature.
3. The creature’s “scientific name” in fake Latin (like you see in “Roadrunner” cartoons).
4. Three stats to be put on a bar graph. Though the stats will appear as if they could be used to compare different creatures, feel free to include whatever stats you want. They can be anything from the traditional “Strength” or “Intelligence” to more unusual traits such as “Magical Talent,” “Lightening Power,” “Annoyance,” or “Shyness.” Each Stat should be rated will have a number value between 0 and 11 with 0 being “nonexistent,” 4 being “average human” (unless it’s something like “Lightening Power,” where 0 would be average), and 11 being “off the chart.”
5. Size (length or height). Metric units, please!
6. Place of origin. Must be somewhere on Earth, though could be a made-up location there (such as a hidden valley in the Andes). The place could be as wide as “the Pacific Ocean” or as narrow as “under a rock at the corner of Main and Hastings in Vancouver.”
7. Care and Feeding instructions. This is the field with the most space to write about your creature. Keep it under 200 characters, though.
8. A fun “did you know” random fact about your creature.
This sounds really cool! May i ask, if our monster is chosen to be part of the project, are we reimbursed anything? Do we still retain rights to our art? Thanks.
If our fundraiser goes well enough, we will pay the artists. However, we first need to pay for the printing.You will retain all rights to your art and will be able to use it however you wish. .