Wanting a free taste? Steve is giving a free lecture at the downtown branch of the Vancouver Public Library next Thursday, Jan 14th from 6:30-8:00pm. Come listen to Steve talk about the different stages of drawing a comic page, using examples from the graphic novel Emiko Superstar. This is a good sneak peek at the type of stuff he teaches in his course. Check out The Process of Drawing Comics with Rolston for more info.
The first batch of “Comics in Transit” comics will be removed on October 5, so you only have one more week to spot them! Here’s where they all are:
- Powell 20m W/O Main NS – Phillip Barrett
- Cambie 31m s/o W. 43rd WS – Steve Rolston
- Commercial 20m N/O E. 6th ES – Steve Rolston
- Fraser 20m N/O E. 28th ES – Sam Logan
- E. Hastings 43m E/O Windermere SS – Jonathon Dalton
- Kingsway 20m W/O Rupert NS – Johnnie Christmas
- Nanaimo 27m S/O William WS – Jonathon Dalton
- W. 10th 29m W/O Tolmie – Jason Turner
- W. 41st 11m W/O Dunbar SS – Nina Matsumoto
- E. 49th 31m E/O Killarney SS – Sean Karemaker
After they come down, a new batch of comics will replace them, so keep your eyes peeled!
Cloudscape’s “Comics in Transit” keeps on rolling! Comics have been popping-up in bus shelters all over Metro Vancouver, one-page stories created by such prominent local creators as Nina Matsumoto, Johnnie Christmas, Steve Rolston, and many more. We’ve been getting a lot of attention, including more buzz in the Georgia Straight and an extensive article in UBC’s student magazine, the Ubyssey. In the Ubyssey article, Cloudscape president Oliver McTavish-Wisden talks about what inspired him to create “Comics in Transit”:
“What I wanted to do is — because so many of the artists I work with are from different parts of the world but have decided to call B.C. home — I challenged them…. I said to write a story about a city that you like or have had some experience with…. Hopefully when people read these at the bus stops they’ll maybe learn a little something from their neighbours, where they’re from… and maybe start to know about who they’re waiting for the bus with…. I was just looking and thinking of ways I could get comic panels or comic pages out of the book format…. I’m always thinking of ways to sort of shake up how people see comics and where they see them.”
Read the rest of the article at “Comics in Transit showing commuters where their neighbours are from.”
As many of you know. Cloudcape’s Comics in Transit is currently going on, with single-page comics appearing in bus shelters all over Vancouver. To give you an example of what to look for, here’s the comic done by local comic legend Steve Rolston:
Also, remember to check out this comic and all the others at their own particular locations and participate in the Comics in Transit contest.
Comics in Transit places:
- Powell 20m W/O Main NS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- W. Broadway 30m W/O Maple NS, Sept 7 – Sept 14
- King Edward 23m W/O Maple NS, Sept 7 – Sept 14
- Cambie 31m S/O W. 43rd WS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- Commercial 20m N/O E. 6th ES, Sept 14 – Oct 5
- Fraser 20m N/O E. 28th ES, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- Hastings 43m E/O Windermere SS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- Kingsway 20m W/O Rupert NS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- Nanaimo 27m S/O William WS, Sept 14 – Oct 5
- SW Marine 20m E/O Blenheim SS, Sept 7 – Sept 14
- W. 10th 29m W/O Tolmie NS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
- W. 41st 11m W/O Dunbar SS, Sept 14 – Oct 5
- E. 49th 31m E/O Killarney SS, Sept 7 – Oct 5
May 24-25 is the Vancouver Comic Arts Festival at the Roundhouse (181 Roundhouse Mews). It’s BC’s largest indie comics convention and a great opportunity to meet numerous local indie comics creators, including Simon Roy, Nina Matsumoto, Brandon Graham, Steve Rolston, Lucy Bellwood, and Ed Brisson. Cloudscape will be there with plenty of books and many of our members will be running events. The whole event is free to attend so stop by!
Local Great Steve Rolston, and his impressive mustache will be teaching a course on comics, if you are looking to hone your craft this is a great opportunity!
For details click here.